Tuesday, February 28, 2012

There's a monster at the end of this book!

When I was a little kid this was my absolute FAVORITE book.

I would ask my Uncle John to read it to me over and over and over again...daily...poor guy...lol

I don't know if it was the way he read it or the fact that Grover was always my favorite, furry, little, not-so-super hero...or maybe he just reminded me of my Uncle with his long limbs and sweet demeanor...who knows.

What I do know is that it was my favorite.


And as I sit here thinking to myself..."What should I write about today?" it seems fitting that this book popped into my head.







Some days I feel like this:
            I feel like I know
exactly what might be around the bend in this crazy
life of mine and it just scares the snot out of me.
I feel like, "Hey now...we don't really have to move forward from this spot, do we God? I mean, I KNOW what these challenges I am facing right now are like. I KNOW how to make it through this one...why do we have to jump ahead? Can't we just chill here for a while...please" (yeah, I'm usually begging a little at that point)

God, however, in His infinite wisdom and fabulous sense of humor simply smiles down at my petulant pout and turns the page:                                                   I sometimes sigh, sometimes stomp, sometimes swear by all that is holy that I will not be able to live through the challenges on this page of my life and question "Why God Why?!?" did He turn the page when I was not yet ready.

And through His amazing grace and abundant mercy He looks down on me, his little girl, with eyes filled with love and compassion as,

with a knowing smile, 

He turns

yet another page....

"Another page God? Really?" Again I sigh..."Fine." I say, "I know that You are all knowing. I know that You are all powerful. I know that You have never, ever, EVER let me down, not once in my entire lifetime...no matter what I was thinking at the time, when I look back on my life I see YOUR hand EVERYWHERE...so God...               if it's Your will...                               go ahead...                                         turn the page."

And He, joyfully, lovingly reaches out His mighty hand and reveals to me the Monster at the end of my book...and it's always got the same face...just like poor, lovable Grover..my misguided attempts to protect myself from some unknown enemy, some uncertain path always lead me to the place where I am standing alone, surrendered before the One who loves me most, facing the fact that I am, in fact, the only "monster" at the end of my book.

Go Figure!



No comments:

Post a Comment